If anybody out there is paying attention, you’ve noticed that the month of November was pretty much a write off as far as this blog is concerned.
That’s not because I haven’t made any progress, but because I’ve been doing legwork and pulling various things together. I’ve also made major progress on a project for a big client.
The 500+ domains I recently took control of are all now either hosted with my ISP or parked with Google and generating a trickle of income. Just using the Goog’s “AdSense for Domains” feature, they’re generating about $70 per month. Not fabulous but enough considering that income is now effort-free.
Fabulous takes style, so I’m kind of working up to it. Had to get over the need to make everything rock on the first iteration. I’ve discovered it’s more important to do something than it is to do it perfectly. More on that later.
In the meantime I got an OpenX server set up, and created 5 accounts with Affiliate programs that offer multiple ads from vendors in many categories. That’s given me access to hundreds of advertisers whose ad campaigns are pay-per-click, pay-per-impression, or commission based.
The next step is to get all those advertising banners into my OpenX server. Once that’s done, I’ll create ad zones on multiple sites and start serving the ads. So far I haven’t done much with it, I’ve just been creating accounts within the various Affiliate programs, and selecting advertisers. The only site that currently has zones defined for it is this one.
My approach to the 500+ domains will be as follows:
Now that I’ve got traffic data for almost 3 months for all of the sites, I’m going to analyze the traffic patterns using Google Analytics and the built-in tools on AdSense. The high-traffic domains that are generating the bulk of revenues I’ll leave alone for now, and concentrate on the domains that are getting some traffic but not a significant amount.
I’ll be looking for similarities between the lower-traffic domains, such as name or keyword associations in common, and identifying domain groups that have similar traffic. Once that’s done, I’ll take a representative domain from each group and develop it into a useful directory site that includes AdSense and Affiliate ad zones. The rest of the domain names in each group will simply drive traffic to the directory site, which I’ll “whitebox” to make it appear that it’s actually the other domains, so that the real domain name only appears if it’s the one they were looking for.
I’m expecting this process to take some time, and may not have much time for it this month.
In the meantime, there are 36 domains that for various reasons have been denied by Google AdSense. Some are adult-oriented domains, some involve gambling, some I have no idea about but with the glacial pace of responses from Google can’t be bothered to try fixing. I’m going to take those domains and do the directory thing with them as well.
I’m not sure which will come first. Probably the denied domains since I don’t have to do any analysis to identify them.
I’m expecting the process of inputting ads into OpenX to consume a lot of spare time in the next month, so my loyal fans can expect to see links to some directory sites appearing in January.
After that, All your base are belong to us!